Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Second Life

Second Life seems to be a great tool for students in an EFL environment as it would give them the opportunity to chat (text or voice) with native English speakers. The input would therefore be totally authentic, synchronous, and could quite possibly come with its own set of internally motivating factors (e.g.--interest in other cultures, ways of live, etc. or simply just getting to know a new person). While I am a novice myself at using Second Life, I have thought about using it in the course I am designing for the Materials and Curriculum development class as my class takes place in an EFL setting and it could be a good way to get those students some opportunities to speak with native English speakers that they might not have.

I think a "downside" to Second Life might simply be trying to convince adults to see it as an educational tool and not as simply time wasting. For example, it might be tough to get a business executive to buy into using it as they might perceive it as being a "game." If seen in this light, there is even the (remote) chance that the student could feel infantilized and be offended due to this. Even so, it could be a great tool for real-time interaction and provide many learning experiences for intermediate to advanced learners.

3 comments:

  1. In the interest of using the task-based instructional model, I wonder how we could set up tasks in 2nd Life? My question about 2nd Life in general has been whether there are missions, games, and so forth, to explore. As a former DM (nerd cred) I would be very interested in setting up tasks in that medium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that there should be some goal or reason for students to use it. If there were tasks that you could design, it would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too worry about students' perceptions of the tool. There a risk of students wandering into areas of SL that might offend them and turn them off of the tool for good.

    ReplyDelete