Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Blog #1: Prior CALL experience and (some) of my interests in the course

One prior experience I had with using computers in the classroom was when I used Youtube last semester while teaching my ITA course here at UIC. I recorded student presentations and posted them to a private Youtube channel so that they could see their progress over the course of the semester.
I am interested in using podcasts and also interested in learning more about what distance language learning might look like using the internet. Does anyone have experience doing either? If so, what was your experience like?

6 comments:

  1. I am also interested in distance language learning, as many commercial language learning products seem so successful "asynchronously," there might be a strong potential for the same or greater success of a "synchronous" product. I will continue to follow your blog and hope we can both learn more with feedback from others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used podcasts as a learner several times. The nice thing about them is that they are pretty diverse in their approach; if you posted enough topical options for your class, you might be able to let them pick & choose according to their needs which, given the right classroom dynamic, could be quite useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not have experience, Bill. I would, however, like to say that technology is awesome and I am really excited to begin using it productively within the classroom. Ya dig?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in agreement with Jam On; I am so excited to begin the process of learning about this "technology" mumbo jumbo, and what its implications are for my teaching environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any experience with using podcasts in the classroom, but I have used audio clips. For example, I played an excerpt of MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech as part of an MLK/Civil Rights lesson last week. By listening to the speech, my students were able to comment on MLK's speaking style and why they found it to be effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who has used the skype to practice his English. He can now speak English naturally, even though he's not been to any English speaking country.
    I wonder if there is any English lesson service using skype. If so, teachers can use it as an extra authentic practice outside the classroom.

    ReplyDelete